Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day Two of a Grateful Heart - My Job

I woke up early this morning and was immediately on line to get some work done.  I thought about writing my gratitude then, but I was too crabby and stressed and couldn't think of anything. Today was a very busy work day. Ironically, as the day progressed and I continued to tap-dance through my growing to-do list as quickly as I could, it began to occur to me that I actually am very, very grateful for my job. This is not a new idea, either.  I was shocked and somewhat embarrassed, even, when on Thanksgiving, rather than an ode to love, or a spiritual tip of the hat to the beauty that is my personal life, I heard myself say I'm thankful for my job.  But I am.
I was in a job for 3 years where I cried pretty regularly at work. I worked a good 50+hrs a week and I never felt like I was done, or had any breathing room.  Any request to work from home was quickly denied except in extenuating circumstances, and the assumption was always that you were really just goofing off. In November of 2009, like thousands of other people in Austin, I lost my job.  I was laid off in the middle of a recession while the news was repeating how bad it was and how much worse it was getting.  I was beyond terrified.  I am the breadwinner supporting a family of 4. I was freaking out. And before I could even make it home, my friend Molly called me and said, "I know you're probably still drying your tears (she was right) but if you can get me your resume this afternoon, I can get you an interview at Dell on Monday." Within two weeks of the layoff I had a job offer at Dell.  Within a month of the layoff, I started a new job.
Two years later, and I'm still here.  The job didn't exist before I started and I got to make it what I wanted it to be.  I get to do marketing and creative and messaging, and I also get to do event planning and sales strategy and I travel. I train our sales people and I answer questions and I help our 3rd party partners get the help they need reaching our sales team.  I can tell I'm adding value; I'm helping.  I'm a natural advocate, and advocacy is my main responsibility at this job.  And the only times I've ever cried?  When I read something sad in an email, or on the Internet. In my current position, people say thank you to me for doing what I am paid to do.  They tell me they appreciate me. I once even had the pleasure of hearing the Director of S&P sales for the Americas ascend a staircase shouting, "You're awesome Emily thanks!" as I walked back to my office.
And you know what? On Fridays I leave at lunch and pick up my daughter, and our farm share, and I work from home the rest of the afternoon. If there is a program at the kids' school, if I have a doctor's appointment, if I need a haircut even, I don't have to agonize about leaving the office. It is understood that I kick ass at work, and I have a life, and I'm left alone to manage both as I see fit.  I cannot tell you how amazing that freedom is. And for all the bosses out there? I relish it so much that I make sure I put in 110% at work every day so that I continue to earn that trust and freedom.
I once said that the only way I'd apply at Dell was if I thought I was going to lose the house. Given the economy the past two years, however, I jumped at the chance immediately.  I've never regretted it. I have better work life balance in my current position than I have ever had in my entire life, and I don't need to write evaluations for myself or anyone else. And today I worked from home, just because I could. No one ever even blinks, and I'm productive as hell.
Thank you Molly, Dave and Dell, for keeping a roof over my family's head, and keeping me engaged.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Emily! I'm so happy for you that you have a great job that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete