Friday, December 24, 2010

Gratitude on Christmas Eve

We've had a bit of a rough week over here. It started last weekend when our planned trip to the in-laws turned into an unplanned trip to visit Brit's Grandmother in the hospital. (She's home now and has just had her hair done - good as ever, which is pretty darn good.) Then I got the very violent flu going around and was simply IN BED, not preparing for Christmas at all, but rather worrying about the domino effect and if we would make it to my mom's or not. (We'll leave in an hour or two - a day later than planned.) Yesterday I received news that my own Grandmother, Dorothy (my father's step-mother), died last weekend. (And yes, that's how communication goes in my father's family.  He's probably finding out for himself now as he reads this.  I love you Dad.)
In the midst of all of this, I assure you, I've been grateful.  I've just not been loquacious about my gratitude. I've held it quietly to myself, like a security blanket.  A soft shield reminding me that we have so much and imperfect moments are just that - moments. Our lives together are a mosaic of moments and the overall image is beauty and joy.
Today, this Christmas Eve, I'm grateful for all of the gifts that Christmas brings. Family and love and time together and reminders of the bounty of our lives. I'm grateful for the Gift of Christmas, especially. Forgiveness and Peace and a reminder to do better and do for others.
Much love to you this Holiday, however you celebrate. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment