Saturday, December 11, 2010

Long Overdue Gratitude - Grateful Heart Day 11

In the Fall of 1993 I was fortunate enough to start the Theater History PhD program studying under the mentorship of the world renowned Oscar G. Brockett.  In 1997, 4 years later, I completed the work required to obtain my Masters' degree, having lost a brother, gained a life partner and extensively reevaluated what I really wanted in life during the interim years. I left the program without fully comprehending what I was leaving. I was finished with school, yes, but I didn't grasp the significance of the friends I was leaving.  Having had these amazing women in my life consistently for 4 years, I somehow missed the fact that once I wasn't in school with them, I wouldn't see them.  I knew where to find them as I was leaving school, of course (they'd be in the basement of the Winship building!), but I failed to fully understand that I wouldn't always know where to find them, like me they'd graduate and move on. Honestly, I felt so funny about not completing the PhD program that I didn't look back when I left - I was embarrassed and worried I'd be judged for leaving prematurely.  Naturally, my fears were unfounded, but still.  I went on with my life, as did my friends, and we lost touch.
The world lost a great scholar and teacher this past fall when Dr. Brockett shrugged off this mortal coil. Today was the memorial for Brock, and for the first time in over a dozen years, I knew just where to find the women who had supported me emotionally and intellectually as we struggled and flourished, often simultaneously, through a rewarding and challenging graduate studies program together.  Graduate school was hard.  It was exhausting and stressful and also intellectually stimulating and exciting and fulfilling. I never would have completed even my Masters without these women.  We vented together.  We studied together. We supported each other's research and celebrated each other's victories.
Amy, Jane, Shannon and Maria (and Emily - how I wish you'd been there today, too!)- thank you for being my friend then, and now.  Today I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to see each one of you and get my hands on you and squeeze you and tell you how much I love you.  People love to grouse about the ol' Facebook, but for the connections it has brought me to people I have missed so dearly, cherished friends like you, I'll always love that social media.
I love you ladies.  Today my gratitude is all about the opportunity to tell you thank you.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment