Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My heart is nearly to bursting with gratitude- day 8

I'm making dinner alone in the kitchen, but not for long. My lovely young woman comes into the kitchen and offers to help. We chat pleasantly about her day at school while I peel a butternut squash and she waits for instructions on what I need.  She's already gotten out a baking dish for me, and now she's telling me about science class.  Enjoying the time together I listen, and peel. Finished peeling, I cut open the squash, and without a word from me she reaches behind her and pulls a big spoon from the silverware drawer and hands it to me, so I can scoop out the seeds. That moment.  Right then, when years of working together allow her to anticipate my needs and she responds to a request before I even consider asking, two steps ahead of me, and truly, truly helping.  Right then.  That spoon. That's what I'm grateful for tonight.
And also? I'm grateful that I didn't start crying right there and then.

I'm grateful for time together in the kitchen, making good things to eat.


3 comments: